Adrenaline Rush
Active Ranker
I was thinking about something today that I’ve been doing for years without really noticing it.My brain gets distracted. A lot.
I could be working on one thing and suddenly some completely random thought appears. Sometimes it’s something from years ago. Sometimes it’s something that has absolutely nothing to do with what I’m doing.
Then another task comes to mind.
I switch to that.
Then I remember something else I wanted to do.
I switch again.
And before I know it, I have 10-20 unfinished things open, but somehow haven’t properly finished even one.
Especially when I’m working, this can become a frustrating loop.
But somewhere along the way, I found something that helps me break that loop.
Music.
I know, almost everyone listens to music while working. But for me, it feels a little different.
I don't just listen to music because I enjoy it or because it creates a nice atmosphere.
I actually need it.
When I work without music, my brain starts creating its own distractions. Random thoughts keep popping up, and I keep jumping from one thing to another.
But when I put on music, something interesting happens.
My brain gets its distraction.
And because that distraction is controlled, I can stay with the task I'm actually supposed to be doing.
It's almost like I'm telling my brain:
"Fine. You want something to jump around with? Here. Have some music. Just let me finish this."
And music is such a great distraction.
It gives my brain something to play with while another part of me keeps working. I can switch between genres, change the mood, discover a different song, and get that little burst of excitement — without necessarily abandoning the task I'm doing.
I guess I'm technically multitasking.
But somehow, this particular kind of multitasking helps me focus.
And I can't even listen to the same genre all day. After a while, I need to switch. Different genre, different sound, different mood.
Today, while thinking about all of this, I suddenly realised something:
Maybe I haven't been using music to help me concentrate all these years.
Maybe I've been using music to distract my brain from distracting me.
And honestly, that's kind of fascinating.
Something I've been doing almost automatically for years suddenly makes a little more sense.
Maybe music isn't just background noise for me.
Maybe it's the distraction that helps me stay focused.



