TheWanderer
Active Ranker
Some moments pass in minutes, but stay with us for years.
I have one memory from when I was 8 or 9—the first time I understood what humiliation felt like.
My teacher made fun of my handwriting in front of the entire class. For almost 20 minutes, I stood there with my head down, crying, while everyone laughed.
I worked on my handwriting after that. And strangely, by the end of the year, she had even become one of my favourite teachers.
But that 20 minutes stayed with me.
Even today, whenever I feel inadequate, a part of me becomes that little girl again—head down, unable to face anyone.
It makes me wonder: Do we ever realise the impact we leave on people when we are harsh, impatient, or lose our cool?
As a teacher, parent, colleague, friend—or simply as a human being—our words may be just a passing moment for us, but they may become a memory someone carries for years.
Writing this today is a reminder to myself: be more mindful of the impact I leave behind.
I have one memory from when I was 8 or 9—the first time I understood what humiliation felt like.
My teacher made fun of my handwriting in front of the entire class. For almost 20 minutes, I stood there with my head down, crying, while everyone laughed.
I worked on my handwriting after that. And strangely, by the end of the year, she had even become one of my favourite teachers.
But that 20 minutes stayed with me.
Even today, whenever I feel inadequate, a part of me becomes that little girl again—head down, unable to face anyone.
It makes me wonder: Do we ever realise the impact we leave on people when we are harsh, impatient, or lose our cool?
As a teacher, parent, colleague, friend—or simply as a human being—our words may be just a passing moment for us, but they may become a memory someone carries for years.
Writing this today is a reminder to myself: be more mindful of the impact I leave behind.