• We kindly request chatzozo forum members to follow forum rules to avoid getting a temporary suspension. Do not use non-English languages in the International Sex Chat Discussion section. This section is mainly created for everyone who uses English as their communication language.

Venezuelans feel they are on the cusp of change - but Maduro shows no sign of giving up

Thirudan

Novice Sprinter
Opposition protesters have flooded the streets of Caracas and filled the air with shouts of "Freedom" and "Yes we can".
Chanting "Freedom" and "Yes we can", hundreds of thousands wearing national colours on T-shirts and caps, and carrying flags, streamed towards the wide Avenida Principal de las Mercedes to see their leader Juan Guaido.

They came from all over the city, passing by ranks of the feared national guard dressed in full riot gear.
skynews-venezuela-caracas_4566281.jpg
Protesters filled the streets of Caracas to show opposition to the government

The opposition supporters really believe they are on the cusp of change here.

The young and the old, from all classes, swarmed down motorways and through streets.

Time and again people stopped me to say that the end is near for Nicolas Maduro and his government.
Frail but determined Carmen Fernandez, 86, was surrounded by people listening to her every word as she told me: "It's definitely the end for him."
She added to applause: "There is no food, no medicine, nothing but poverty."

The problem the opposition has is that despite the huge turnouts, Mr Maduro is showing no sign of giving up and, crucially, he still controls the security services.

skynews-venezuela-caracas_4566285.jpg
Hundreds of thousands of people turned out to try and bring about change in their country

Apart from some defections, including the first serving general, neither the military or the national police have, publicly at least, changed sides.

Many of the people I spoke to concede that must happen if this deadlock is to be broken.

One man told me: "I think it will come, I just don't know when.

"But it needs to happen, for sure."

The question is if this people's protest can keep up its momentum and even expand it.

Nationwide it is reported that there were other large turnouts in a number of towns and cities, joining the Caracas calls for the overthrow of Mr Maduro.

The star is, of course, Juan Guaido, the 35-year-old who has galvanised the opposition movement beyond any expectation.

He arrived in the midst of this huge crowd, and he milked it.

A murmur turned into a roar as people caught sight of him, guided by body guards towards a stage at the end of the avenue.

It was akin to the arrival of a boy band - hysteria.

"Guaido, Guaido," they chanted as he waved to the masses, holding his wife's hand as the crowds heaved around them, thousands of phones held aloft to capture an image of the would-be first couple.

He finally emerged onto the stage to a huge roar.

After a continuous tour of public speaking his voice is now badly strained and croaky.

From a very presidential looking lectern and with the national flag placed next to him, he told the crowd, that stretched as far as the eye could see, that they had to keep on the streets to keep up the pressure on Mr Maduro.

He ordered the military to leave the people in peace and urged the security forces to join the people.

He is acting very much like a president but in truth he is not.

Across town thousands packed another square to see the man who currently holds the post despite internal dissent and international condemnation.

Nicolas Maduro told his supporters to continue the revolution of his predecessor Hugo Chavez and promised to continue to protect Venezuela from "outside forces", his code for the United States.

The contrast between the two rallies couldn't be more stark.

Mr Maduro danced and sang on stage with his wife.

Mr Guaido addressed a huge crowd with his wife at his side, looking very, well, presidential.

This country is now badly split.

The upper hand is enforced by the security forces.

Mr Guaido is now adored as the man who can herald in a new order, he is popular for sure, but he still isn't the president.