MrDream
Wellknown Ace
Some personalities you simply cannot forget.
Not necessarily because they were extraordinary, successful, or even easy to understand. Some people stay in your memory because there was something about them you could never completely figure out.
I once knew someone like that. He appeared strong, confident and, at times, even dominating. He had a presence that was difficult to ignore. When he spoke, people listened. He expressed his opinions without hesitation and rarely allowed himself to be pushed around.
Some admired him.
Others found him intimidating.
A few probably considered him arrogant.
But knowing him closely revealed another side.
He was remarkably private. He didn't talk much about himself, especially his emotions. He could be engaged and expressive in conversation, yet whenever things became personal, he would retreat into silence. He was also completely comfortable being alone.
He didn't need to be part of every gathering or every conversation. He could sit quietly, observe everything around him and remain perfectly content in his own company.
That was the contradiction that stayed with me. How could someone who appeared so strong and self-assured be so inward-looking?
Over time, I began to see him differently. What looked like dominance was often simply confidence in his own judgement. What seemed like arrogance was sometimes just a refusal to seek approval. His silence wasn't indifference; he simply didn't feel the need to explain himself to everyone.
And that is how people like him are often misunderstood.
We see confidence and call it arrogance.
We see firmness and call it dominance.
We see peace and call it loneliness.
But being alone and being lonely are not the same.
Some people simply find peace in their own company. They speak when they have something meaningful to say, open up only to those they trust, and keep much of their inner world to themselves. That is why some personalities remain unforgettable. Not because we knew everything about them, but because we sensed there was always more beneath the surface.
When I think about that friend today, I remember his confidence, his silence, his independence and his comfort with solitude. For years, I thought I was trying to understand him.
Then one day, I realised why his personality had always felt so strangely familiar.
I wasn't remembering someone else.
I was remembering a version of myself.
That friend I was trying so hard to understand...
was me.
Not necessarily because they were extraordinary, successful, or even easy to understand. Some people stay in your memory because there was something about them you could never completely figure out.
I once knew someone like that. He appeared strong, confident and, at times, even dominating. He had a presence that was difficult to ignore. When he spoke, people listened. He expressed his opinions without hesitation and rarely allowed himself to be pushed around.
Some admired him.
Others found him intimidating.
A few probably considered him arrogant.
But knowing him closely revealed another side.
He was remarkably private. He didn't talk much about himself, especially his emotions. He could be engaged and expressive in conversation, yet whenever things became personal, he would retreat into silence. He was also completely comfortable being alone.
He didn't need to be part of every gathering or every conversation. He could sit quietly, observe everything around him and remain perfectly content in his own company.
That was the contradiction that stayed with me. How could someone who appeared so strong and self-assured be so inward-looking?
Over time, I began to see him differently. What looked like dominance was often simply confidence in his own judgement. What seemed like arrogance was sometimes just a refusal to seek approval. His silence wasn't indifference; he simply didn't feel the need to explain himself to everyone.
And that is how people like him are often misunderstood.
We see confidence and call it arrogance.
We see firmness and call it dominance.
We see peace and call it loneliness.
But being alone and being lonely are not the same.
Some people simply find peace in their own company. They speak when they have something meaningful to say, open up only to those they trust, and keep much of their inner world to themselves. That is why some personalities remain unforgettable. Not because we knew everything about them, but because we sensed there was always more beneath the surface.
When I think about that friend today, I remember his confidence, his silence, his independence and his comfort with solitude. For years, I thought I was trying to understand him.
Then one day, I realised why his personality had always felt so strangely familiar.
I wasn't remembering someone else.
I was remembering a version of myself.
That friend I was trying so hard to understand...
was me.